The James J. Hill Center opened in 1921 as the James J. Hill Reference Library and has remained a prominent fixture of the historic landscape of downtown St. Paul. Through our historic print collection, tours and exhibits, we share the narrative of James J. Hill’s entrepreneurial legacy and its impact on the individuals, companies and communities the library has touched.
The James J. Hill Center is currently closed to the public and is evaluating all options related to the future of the institution and its historic building in downtown St. Paul. The organization has served the community since opening in 1921 with a gift from the estate of James J. Hill, an early industrialist and community leader in Minnesota.
Please note that the James J. Hill Center is a private nonprofit and is not affiliated with the Minnesota Historical Society, the City of Saint Paul or the James J. Hill House.